Your Questions About Eligible Veteran

Mary asks…

If I am the dependent of a veteran, am I eligible for work study?

I need a job and all this FAFSA, work study, veterans stuff gets confusing

Admin answers:

Only your school will be able to tell you if you qualify for work study. You get it based on being poor, not your dads veteran status. No where on the fafsa does is ask (because it doesn’t matter) about HIS veteran status.

Don’t let it confuse you. Unless YOU are a veteran, it doesn’t matter.

Ken asks…

Where do I find what grants I am eligible for as a Veteran, army spouse of deployed soldier ?

Internet sites, books, lectures anything.

Admin answers:

You can go to the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) and – these are two sites created by the federal government to provide transparency and information on grants. Browse through the listings and see if you can find any grant that would support your purposes. Once you find a grant where you can qualify, apply for it at

Even if you buy books on “how to get grants” or list that supposedly has information on grants — all of them are mere rehash of what CFDA has, albeit packaged differently.

Note though that these grants generally support non-profit organizations, intermediary lending institutions, and state and local governments. Most of the federal grants are given to specific target groups with specific requirements (e.g. Minority business owners involved in transportation related contracts emanating from DOT – Grant#20.905 Disadvantaged Business Enterprises Short Term Lending Program. Individuals especially for personal purposes are not eligible for federal grants.

Grants are also often given to non profit groups or organizations involved in training or other similar activities (grant 59.043 Women’s Business Ownership Assistance that are given to those who will create women’s business center that will train women entrepreneurs.

And of course, look around here at for information on Military Housing Assistance.

Susan asks…

I am Army Reserves veteran, am I eligible to get a military id?

I was in the Army Reserves, served my time and was discharged after 8 years of service. I was wondering if I am eligible for any benefits and if I can get a military id. I have a PX near me and I would like to be able to shop there. Thanks for any info you have!

Admin answers:

The only benefits you are eligible for is VA venefits. One of the postings mention medical, this is not medical care at a on-base facility, it would be at a VA hospital. There may be specific requirements even so to receive that care. The most used VA benefits would be education. Your best bet is to contact the VA. If you were a resident of a specific state the entire time you served, you may be eligible for benefits there. For example, military veterans during certain timeframes are eligible to go to any state school in Massachusetts, however you must have been a resident there during your service. You cannot just move there to take advantage of the program. Just google for the VA and contact an advisor there.
One thing to note, if you are currently in the IRRRL program, where you are still eligible for call-up (you should know if you are), you do receive some benefits, like being able to stay at base lodging. I have only seen one person ever using these benefits in my career. It was an individual listed on their ID as a 2LT with an indefinite red reserve ID card. They had it for at least ten years (was the ID card that was phased out about 1994), and she did not look like she would be even able to serve if she was called up.

Helen asks…

My mother was married to a veteran from the navy, he died, is she eligible for widows pension?

She can still get from tri care for health health insurance because of him through the military. What is the deal. It is taking forever.

Admin answers:

Unless he was a RETIREE and elected to enroll in SBP then upon his death all payments cease.

Joseph asks…

Is an Army Reserve veteran eligible for an AKO account?

I was enlisted in the Army Reserve and National Guard from 1990-1999. Honorably discharged. Am I eligible for an AKO account?

Admin answers:

Not according to the AKO webpage.

Only Active Duty, national guard, reserve, civilian and retired personelle may register.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers